Monday, June 18, 2007

Ciao Palermo




Today we docked in Palermo, Sicily, Italy. I was up and watched us come into port. It was cool to see all the buildings and the city as we were at sea yesterday.

Today we were going to do a walking tour out of frommers with The Mcdonnell clan…but somebody overslept (not me). So Taylor and I headed out about 9am to explore Palermo. First (for all you future cruisers) be prepared for the bombarding that happens with the taxi drivers. If you do choose to take a taxi really bargain them down. I heard people say they paid between 100-150 for up to 5 people for a taxi ride all around town and down to monreale or mondello beach.
If you successfully make it through the taxi drivers, you will get bombarded next with the horse and carriage drivers. Again, bargain..if you just walk away they will keep lowering the price. My daughter was bugging me to do it and it was hot at 9am, so we hired a horse carriage for 30 euro to take us around.

The driver spoke Italian, and a little Spanish but no English..except the words, wait lady and I give you lower price. BUT he was entertaining. After we got in his carriage, he proceeded to give the other carriage drivers a hard time for not getting us and he was knew everyone. It was a little scary cause there are A LOT of cars, busses and scooters/motorcycles and they could give a rats butt who was in there way, they just needed to move. We rode around for about 1 ½ hours and then he dropped us off at the ship. Taylor immediately wanted to go back to kids club and I was fine with that. I dropped her off and then headed back out to the city to wander around.


About noon, as I was sweating like a pig, I headed back to the ship and picked up taylor and we spent the whole afternoon at the pool. It was nice being in port at the pool. Everyone was gone. Taylor played with some kids she met at kids club and I read and talked with my neighbors. Carolmb was by on her way to spa with her husband. I ran into him later and he said the couples spa was excellent. He looked refreshed.
They had a sail away party for Palermo. The kids had a good time at that.
I met my poolside neighbor, Sandy, and we discovered that we were doing the same “on our own” excursion tomorrow. So we’re trying it again with new people. We are meeting at topsiders for breakfast and then heading out to catch the train to Pompeii. Let’s hope we all wake up on time tomorrow.

Wish us luck!

1 comment:

Stacey Sproul said...

After Taylor goes to bed, call and arrange for a wake up call. Then let the phone ring a few extra times in the morning before you pick it up. You can always answer it and say "sorry wrong room" and she will be none the wiser!