Monday, August 18, 2008

I've discovered the Bay Area...and I like it!


This past weekend I had a friend from out of town come in to visit. Plans were made and I was to be a tour guide of the SF Bay Area. Now I don't know about you, but I haven't really toured around the bay area. Growing up here you really take advantage of the amazing places we have to offer. That said, here's the run down of my tour guide abilities!
We started off by going straight to the Apple campus in Cupertino. I'm not an apple fan but my friend was and wanted to see the "mothership". Additionally, they have a company store there that sells items only available at the company store. It really wasn't all that exciting and in the end even the apple freak wasn't that impressed. BUT we took pictures and got some "available only" souveniers. After that we headed to my favorite local restaurant, Lark Creek, and had a great meal. I love the meatloaf there and their Lemon Drops are outstanding.
The next day we headed to Alcatraz and SF. Again, haven't been there in years but off we went. It was very cool. They have an audio tour that is included in your ticket price and it was very interesting. Then we walked down to Pier 39 and the wharf. We walked all over. Looking at the crazy souveniers. Down to Ghiradelli square and back to pier 39. We saw the sea lions..they were cute. I had planned on walking the Golden Gate bridge but we spent so much time at the wharf that we just went up to Coit Tower, Down lombard and then over to ocean beach, where Brian went into the Pacific ocean for the first time! I know it was only feet, but it counts. After that we headed over to Oakland to see the A's play the 1st place white sox (Bris hometown team). After the white sox had developed a lead, I am proud to say that our hometown team pulled ahead with a walk off home run in the bottom of the 9th to win it. Someone was bummed about the loss, but don't worry the White Sox came back and won the next 2 games on saturday and sunday. Saturday we headed down to monterey. I have to say that was the most boring part for me. It was cloudy and cold. Not so much to see. We went to the aquarium, which saved the day. It was really neat. Lots of otters! After that we headed to Santa Cruz and luckily saw some sea lions just milling about on a pier. We stopped and took some pics and then travelled on. The Boardwalk was crowded with lots of people. We rode the Giant Dipper and then the Carousel which was fun. Like riding it with a 4 year old! Then got free tickets to a new ride. Some shoot out computer generated one. It was fun. I came in 2nd, Brian came in first. Someone gloated over that for a while.


Sunday we headed over to Marin. It was foggy and cold but we went over to the Golden Gate bridge. I took a wrong turn, which ended up being a right turn and discovered an overlook I had no idea existed. Beautiful views of the bridge, city etc on the pacific and the bay side. We then headed down and parked and walked out a 1/3 of the way. I haven't done that for 20 years. It was very interesting. I wouldn't take the kid out there cause it's scary being up so high, but it'll be fun one day. The weekend is over..time to start getting back into the real world. Work and picking up tay from camp this weekend. Soon enough school will start and 5th grade will bring on a whole new challenge!
Hope everyone had a great summer.

No comments: