Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A giant setback....

My lofty goals of being gym bound daily have been thwarted by a ridiculous injury. Let me share my stupid story!

My gym had a contest that started in January. Lose the most body fat and win a big fat cash prize. There are 3 places overall for male and female members over the whole company (40 locations) and then each gym has individual winners and there is an overall prize for a "trip" to hawaii...I read about that and it's really just $1000 towards a trip, but I'll take it. Even though I go to the gym regularly, I don't go with any friends but I usually work out with the same people. So due to this contest I got aquainted with several other participants. We decided we would form a team to help each other along, cheer up and text to make sure we are all going to the gym regularly if not together. All is going according to plan..daily texts to see when we are going to be at the gym, healthy diet and excercise. I have done my initial weigh in and body fat..too depressing to mention, and then at my second one I had lost 3lbs and 1% of BF. Not the start I was looking for but a good start none the less. The following monday I am in my weight training class with ruby and we are having a good time. We were 45 minutes into class when Hailey came to the door and started teasing us and we were giving back to her...and I decide to start jumping up and down like a jackass and next thing I know...POP goes my calf muscle. I have never felt this kind of pain before. Now I don't want to stop the class for everyone so I scoot over to the corner to see if I can stretch out my leg, but nothing is working. I can barely walk and the pain is just getting worse and even more horrible is Zumba is next and the line to get in is sooo long. Well my class ends and I make my way out. H and R and a couple of others are offering to help me but I don't want them to have to miss zumba so I decline and suck it up and hop out of the class. It takes me a good 15min. to get to my car and I pretty much ready to hurl from the pain. As soon as I get in my car I just start bawling. I'm no wuss but this is bad. I call my friend whose a doc and she recommends a trip to the ER, I call my friend whose a PE teacher and she says Ice/break/heat repeat, I call my brother whose telling me to go to the ER also. BUT I'm CHEAP and there is not giant copay in my future. Luckily I have crutches in my garage leftover from a previous knee surgery. I get home ice/heat etc. and hobble on crutches to my room. Then next morning...I can't stand up. The pain is still incredible. I send tay off to school with carpool and call urgent care. Flashforward a couple of days and the diagnosis is Acute Calf Sprain. Doesn't that sound so stupid. Treatment...wearing an aircast, using crutches, pain meds and muscle relaxants and NO DRIVING! I have been depending on the kindness of friends for almost 3 weeks now! I'm so ready to drive and get my independance back.

The prognosis is good but slow. I should be released to drive next week and start physical therapy. I should be able to get back to the gym around March 1st but no cardio for quite a while. So my hopes for a respectable cruise body have been thwarted! Send positive healing my way!

Happy Valentines Day!

No comments: