Friday, April 2, 2010

They're over...phew!

Well the competitive sports have ended. We now can go straight home after school to do homework and make dinner and the "normal" family things. Although "normal" really is a thing of the past. So many of the kids from kindergarten thru high school don't really sit for family dinner anymore. We are all lucky if we get 1 night together. With the amount of homework and activities these kids have it's amazing they can do it all. My daughter has realized her limits. She has decided to go down to one sport at a time next year. Soccer and volleyball with a possible softball team. Depends on if she makes volleyball and when ends.

It's been an interesting year so far in middle school. While tay has started off well she struggles in one class. It's so frustrating to watch them struggle. I think back to my middle school days and really can't remember my parents helping me with homework or even checking to see if it was done. Really nothing back in the past happened until it was too late. Nowadays we are trying to get in front of the problems so they don't happen in the first place. Is that right or wrong? Should our kids experience some kind of failure?

For example, last weekend was tays last volleyball tournament. They tanked it. Teams they had beaten hands down were kicking our butts. The girls, however, we having a great time. Goofing off, laughing having fun during the breaks. At the end of the day a couple of them, including my child, were shrugging their shoulders at their last place finish. So what, who cares. Have we protected them so much from failure that when they do come in last they don't care? And personally, I think they should care. I received a little blowback when I stated that I was displeased with their performance. Aren't we supposed to learn from our mistakes? How are we supposed to learn if we don't think or care if we're making them.

Just my thoughts after the end of our first official year of team sports.

No comments: